QWSP (Qualified Wetland Science Practitioner)
Under the Alberta Wetland Policy, Qualified Wetland Science Practitioner (QWSP) replaces the Qualified Wetland Aquatic Environmental Specialist (QWAES) designations and QWSP's are required for the preparation of wetland regulatory applications. QWSP's must understand and be proficient with all wetland Directives, Guides, and tools used for regulatory applications and use the Alberta Wetland Identification and Delineation Directive, Alberta Wetland Assessment and Impact Report Directive, the Alberta Wetland Mitigation Directive, and ABWRET-A in all wetland assessments.
As a QWSP one must be a member of one of the following Professional Regulatory Organizations:
- Alberta Association of Landscape Architects
- Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- Alberta Land Surveyors' Association
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
- Association of the Chemical Professional of Alberta
- Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta
- College of Alberta Professional Foresters
- College of Alberta Professional Forest Technologists
A practitioner must also meet specific competency and professional experience requirements in order to authenticate regulatory documents. It is also the responsibility of each regulated professional to ensure they meet the specifications and competency required.
Practitioners who do not meet these requirements may continue to work in the wetland science field as long as documents submitted are authenticated by a qualified practitioner.
Government of Alberta. 2015. Interim Wetland Science Practitioner. Accessed online at: http://www.waterforlife.alberta.ca/documents/InterimSciencePractitioner-Jun01-2015.pdf.